Sunday, February 27, 2005

Speed up Adobe Acrobat 6.0's load time

This drives me bonkers (and it is not really related to Exchange). Acrobat 6.0 takes nearly 30 seconds to load on my sluggish (and old) laptop. The problem: Adobe went hog-wild with plug-ins and extensions to make Acrobat better, stronger, faster, and to compete with Microsoft's new document reader. All these plug-ins take time to load-up, though, especially on laptops or slower machines.

I think everyone in the civilized world knows about this, but I figured I would blog it anyway since I'm always having to tweak another computer.

  1. Open up the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader folder
  2. Create a folder called Optional in that folder if it is not there already
  3. Move the contents of the Plug_ins folder to the Optional folder
  4. Ta da!
The plug-ins will still load, they just load on-demand, since they are in the optional folder. If you use a particular plug-in with every PDF document you load, then go ahead and move that one back to the Plug_ins folder.

Thanks to Matt T. and Cameron P. for reminding me about this feature back in the fall. I keep forgetting about it.

1 Comments:

At 5:37 AM, Blogger Benjamin said...

Wow, I didn't know about this! Found you on google. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home