Monday, March 21, 2005

Exchange Domain Servers and Exchange Enterprise Servers groups

If you have installed Exchange 2000 or 2003, then you have probably noticed that the SETUP /DOMAINPREP process creates two groups in the CN=Users container in each domain. These groups are the domain local group Exchange Enterprise Servers and the global group Exchange Domain Servers.

Do not delete these groups and do not move them out of the CN=Users container.

I have dispensed this advice over and over again, but still I come across problems caused by an over-zealous administrator. Moving these groups will produce errors and will cause the System Attendant to either fail or not restart. The solution is to simply move the groups back in to the Users container. See KB article 260914 "Domainprep utility does not work if Exchange Enterprise Servers group and Exchange Domain Servers group moved to a new container" for more information.

I just saw this again today, so this seemed like timely advice.

4 Comments:

At 8:13 AM, Blogger Teo De Las Heras said...

What about moving Exchange servers? Is there any solution for the problems that occur when you move exchange servers between OU's? I heard that restarting the System Attendant service helps, but what else needs to be done?

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Jim McBee said...

Hummmm, as far as the server is concerned, it really does not care which OU it is located. I have never had a problem moving a server from one OU to another. Although this is something I do faily quickly after I put a new server in to a domain.

 
At 6:33 AM, Blogger Teo De Las Heras said...

I have seen errors in the event log show up after moving a Production Exchange server between OU's. The errors go away after I restart the system attendant and associated services. I guess I'm just verifying that no one else has had problems moving Exchange servers between OU's.

 
At 6:02 AM, Blogger Teo De Las Heras said...

Here's what I was looking for.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;271335&sd=ee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home