Friday, August 07, 2009

Symantec Endpoint Security Fan Club - Not!!!!

Over the past 3 months at work, we have came across a number of performance issues and other weird problems related to Symantec Endpoint Security. We finally made the decision to remove it entirely and go with McAfee. Yes, it was THAT bad.

I had a new issue today with Symantec Endpoint Security running on an IIS Server. Every time I made a change such as enabling ASP.NET or deleting the Default Web Site, when I ran IISRESET, I would look back in IIS Manager and the change would have reverted back to the original setting. I deleted the Default Web Site five times and it kept coming back. (Insanity can clearly be demonstrated by the person who does the same futile thing over and over again but expects a different result.)

Once I stopped all of the Endpoint service, I was able to make the necessary changes to IIS. Unfortunately, that is 2 hours of troubleshooting time that I will NEVER get back.

3 Comments:

At 4:38 PM, Blogger PD said...

I've been running SEP on all our servers and desktops for about 6 months now with no issues at all.

The only problem I had is that the mail scanning portion is pretty resource intensive which is not exactly what you want on a heavily loaded Exchange server.

Symantec may not be ideal, but you couldn't pay me to switch to McAfee.

 
At 12:58 AM, Blogger Mark V. Camilleri said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

We are currently pulling SEP and have moved to Esets NOD32. Im very impressed with it. It does take a bit for a Symantec fan to convert to their navagation and settings discriptions. I know other friends in the industy are also looking elsewhere for AV. Ive been a long time Symantec supporter. There products keep getting worse. Backupexec and SEP have both lost ground compared to other choices. There are now better AV and Backup solutions. I too would not touch McAfee. Im not a fan of McAfee. Symantec please quick stacking code and just rewrite it. Dont stack features and other bought solutions and call it SEP. I believe Symantec needs to rewrite SEP from the ground up. Its so bloated and inefficent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home