Sunday, August 02, 2009

Windows 7, iTunes, and the iPhone

If you are an iPhone user, be careful about syncing your iPhone from a Windows 7 computer. One of my friends installed Windows 7 RC (release candidate) on his computer (from scratch) and then started using iTunes and syncing his iPhone. His Bluetooth headset stopped working. When he tried to enable bluetooth, the icon would just spin, but it would never enable. He tried resetting the device, turning airplane mode on/off multiple times, and more.

He finally took it in to the Apple Store and they said that Windows 7 was not compatibile with the iPhone should not be used. They had to completely erase the iPhone and reload the firmware. But, once they did, Bluetooth started working. As soon as he took it home and sync'ed it again, Bluetooth stopped working again.

Finally, he had to wipe the device out completely re-install the firmware again. Then, he sync'ed it from a Windows XP computer and Bluetooth has worked ever since.

I'm assuming this is a problem with iTunes that will be fixed as more people report this.

3 Comments:

At 5:22 AM, Blogger Chris Haaker said...

Like all technical issues your mileage may vary. I use my iPhone 3Gs with Win7 all the time and have had no issues. I use my BT headset every day and sync my iTunes library. Seems your mate did uncover a bug though as it is repeatable.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Jim McBee said...

The guys at the "Genius Bar" at the Apple Store told him not to use Windows 7. Of course, I'm sure they would suggest a Mac instead. :-)

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Topgoodguy said...

I just have the same problem too. Just installed Windows 7 RTM and connected my iPhone 3G to backup and update then bluetooth stopped working!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home