Thursday, September 02, 2004

Symantec Mail Security for Exchange v4.5 on clusters

I am working on a project for the U.S. Army. We had planned on using Symantec Mail Security for Exchange (SMSMSE) (v4.5) as the antivirus software package for the servers. We found that SMSMSE does not work properly on Exchange 2003 clusters with more than two nodes. The bottom line is that SMSMSE cannot work as a clustered resource. Symantec's Premier support did not seem to concerned that it would not work in our environment.

Sigh.... sorry, I'm ranting. I usually like Symantec's products. But, if you have any cluster configuration other than a two-node, active-passive cluster, you should consider using Sybari's Antigen. This will save you a lot of time and trouble when trying to make your cluster work well.

If you have no choice but to use SMSMSE on your clustered nodes, it will have to be installed on each node and not operated as a clustered resource.

3 Comments:

At 2:17 AM, Blogger Teo De Las Heras said...

Have you heard of any issues with Group Shield on Exchange 2003 active/passive cluters?

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Jim McBee said...

Actally, I try to avoid Groupshield like the plague. Never tried to implement it on a cluster, though.

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Victor Osten said...

Antispyware solution from Orbasoft.
I have tried so many different types of scans to help keep my PC running at its best and one thing that I discovered is that they all tend to find the same types of bugs. The main difference between them all is the price that you pay. Recently I discovered Orbasoft Antispyware at www.orbasoft.com and I really like it a lot. Antispyware solution from Orbasoft is one of the best scans I have ever used and I’m sure that you will be very happy with it as well. Go ahead and give it a try, you will be glad you did!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home