Wednesday, February 21, 2007

No more HP hardware!

I used to be a Compaq ASE and was a huge fan of their server hardware and workstations. I have a lot of friends at HP and they have some of the best messaging folks in the business. Recently I needed a 64-bit computer for Exchange Server 2007 so I bought a refurbished Presario. I did not even get it installed and running for almost 60 days (time constraints on my part). The CPU fan was WAY too noisy; I could not even keep it running in my office and still concentrate, so I finally took it in to Best Buy. A week later they informed me that the warranty period for refurbished equipment 90 days and that HP refused to service it. And my hardware was just a few days over the 90 day period. :-(

I was blown away that the warranty was just 90 days since Dell provides a 3-year warranty on refurbished equipment. This has peeved me off enough that I will never buy or recommend another piece of HP hardware.

2 Comments:

At 3:32 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I agree, the warranty is terrible. But lets be realistic, HP servers are rock solid. Would you run your Ex 07 boxes on DELL servers or HP servers? I wouldn't touch a DELL PowerEdge with a 10 foot pole.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Tony Redmond said...

Jim,

With respect, you should really have booted up the PC when you got it home and detected the problem then. There is no excuse for the failure and HP would have fixed the problem had you reported it promptly.

The problem is that all PC manufacturers are reducing costs. You can take cost out of engineering or out of other areas like warranties or components. The net effect is good for consumers because you end up paying less - the price of a laptop now is much less than it was a couple of years ago, but nothing is ever done for free. HP prefers to invest in engineering and components, so something has been shaved from the warranty. This can be justified because a) most failures occur soon after a PC is unpacked and b) most users detect the problems then.

Sorry for your problem, but the hardware game is pretty tight...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home