Sunday, April 18, 2010

What happened to my targetAddress attributes????

Like many things I learn in IT, I learned a new lesson "the hard way". We are migrating from an old forest to a new forest using Quest. The Quest mailbox migration, once it completes the migration of a mailbox, puts on the user's targetAddress attribute the SMTP of the new location. For example, the mailbox's new SMTP address is Luke@newdomain.com, so it puts in the old mailbox's targetAddress attribute SMTP:Luke@newdomain.com.

The Exchange "move mailbox" wizard actually CLEARS this attribute if you move the mailbox from one database to another in the same organization. We needed to shutdown some old mailbox servers, so we ExMerged all of the data out of the mailboxes that had been migrated, then moved the empty mailboxes to a single Exchange server.

Forwarding immediately stopped working. After some frenzied investigation, we found that the targetAddress for the moved mailboxes had been cleared. A call to our Quest consultants confirmed this. So, keep this in mind if you have to move mailboxes that have a targetAddress set on them!!!!

7 Comments:

At 7:32 PM, Blogger 彭志文 said...

Poverty tries friends.......................................................

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger 蘇pet0701em_halvorsen said...

how do u do?

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger 香廷 said...

One swallow does not make a summer.......................................................

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger 韋于倫成 said...

你不能和一個握緊的拳頭握手........................................

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Mike Crowley said...

covered here as well
http://blog.flaphead.dns2go.com/archive/2009/03/11/targetaddress.aspx

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Jason A Winters said...

Great find... we were seeing this happen and could not for the life of us figure out why the targetaddress attribute was disappearing. Seems the admins on the source side were busy doing "cleanup" once the users had been migrated, not knowing they were sabotaging the email redirection

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger Jason A Winters said...

great find! we had the same issue going on and for the life of us could not figure out why the targetaddress attribute kept getting removed. Seems that the admins on the source side were busy "cleaning up" the old environment, not knowing they were sabotaging the email redirection.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home