Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Network Monitor 3.0 released (Free!!!!)

My favorite 'swiss army knife' utility for troubleshooting problems is the Microsoft Network Monitor. (Or Ethereal). I install NetMon on every server that I deploy. Microsoft has just released Network Monitor v3.0! And it is free, no more having to own a copy of SMS or running it only from Windows servers.

Thanks to an excellent protocol analysis class from Bill Alderson from Pine Mountain Group using a Sniffer and then 2 days of intense Microsoft protocol analysis back in 1996 from Paul Adare, I know enough to know I know nothing. But, I can still track down some really tricky problems.

From the Network Monitor Blog, here is a feature list:
  • A completely new user interface
  • Real time capture and display of frames
  • Simultaneous capture on multiple network adapters
  • Multiple simultaneous capture sessions
  • Network conversations and a tree view displaying frames by conversation
  • A new script-based protocol parser language, and script-based parsers
  • Support for Vista/Windows XP/Windows Server 2003
  • Support for 32bit and 64bit platforms

1 Comments:

At 3:15 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with the author that Network Monitor is a pretty good tool, but I think it is not the best. There are a lot of similar tools, but "Advanced Host Monitor" by KS-Soft is my favorite one. You have to take a look at it: http://www.ks-soft.net

Regards,
Pat Simpson

 

Post a Comment

<< Home