Thursday, March 30, 2006

MAPI32.DLL error when installing Exchange 2003

I had a situation this week where I was helping a company do a complete re-install of Exchange 2003. They originally built a "green field" Exchange organization and were going to do inter-organization migration, but later decided to install Exchange 2003 servers in to their existing organization. Long story, but essentially the in-place migration was going to be much less painless.

So, Exchange 2003 SP2 had to be uninstalled from the Exchange servers and then re-installed in to the existing 5.5 organization. Not a big deal (I have another blog entry to do about the ADC, though!)

When the Exchange 2003 setup was almost complete, a pop-up error starting appearing indicating that the wrong version of MAPI32.DLL was in the \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder. The error said:
Exchange detected that "C:\windows\system32\mapi32.dll" is not the correct version required to run Exchange System Manager or Exchange Server 2003. This may cause failures in Exchange System Manager, affect availability of your server, or both. For more information see Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q266418 at http://support.microsoft.com.

After the installation was complete, Exchange System Manager would not function properly and when I tried to upgrade to E2K3 SP2, choosing the "upgrade" option would tell me that Exchange 2003 had to be installed first.

I renamed the \windows\system32\mapi32.dll, took the MAPI32.DLL from the Exchange server CD-ROM (from the \setup\i386\exchange\bin folder) and copied it in to the \windows\system32 folder. That cleared up the problem. On the other servers that I had to re-install, I simply renamed the MAPI32.DLL file before starting the installation.

17 Comments:

At 4:54 AM, Blogger G & K said...

Your site saved my day. I'm not kidding either. I was nearly in the same boat that this post was (it's a year or more old), and your site was the only thing that was informative, as it was #1 on my Google results.

I followed your steps, and my issue was resolved.

Thank you!!!

(I wanted to drop kudos to you simply b/c I have my own site as well, and I post and people read, but never leave comments)

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger xoaxix said...

god bless you man,

 
At 3:08 AM, Blogger Kabissel said...

I installed the SP2 of Exchange Server 2003 and the problem was solved also.

Cool

Patrick Kabissel

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Raptore said...

Thank you for your help, this cleared up my problem aswell on Exchange server 2003 SP3

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Raman said...

Thank a lot. It also resolved my MAPI32.DLL issue. I renamed the file before starting installation of Exchange 2003 and it worked.

Thanks once again.

 
At 3:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Jim,
Can you help me fix my outlook express? Yesterday, I downloaded a trial version of Office 2007 from Microsoft. Unfortunately this caused problems since I share this computer with my family. Now when we click on links for the classified site that we use (which uses outlook express for e-mail)we get this error message: [Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. MAPI32.DLL is corrupt or the wrong version. This could have been caused by installing other messaging software. Please reinstall Outlook.] I have tried reinstalling outlook, but this has not resolved the issue. What else can I do? I also uninstalled the Office 2007 and all components because every time we tried using those links, it would go to install wizard for outlook 2007. I did not realize that by installing 2007 version we could not still use standard outlook. Is there a solution? Assistance is greatly appreciated.

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger joinshammoy said...

Thanks man, you are a true savior.

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Raghav said...

thank man

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger श्रीपाद श्रीकांत रामदासी said...

hello dear thank you so much.
I realy appritiate your help.

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Justin said...

Excellent tip - thank you very much for giving the paths that are required. A diferent blog just said to replace it with the one from the CD - no mention of WHERE on the CD!

I encountered the error during setup and replaced the file while the install was paused with the error message showing.

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Saved me also with a new client

-THANKS

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger Justin Jacob said...

Install Exchnage 2003 service pack ,it will solve the problem,visit http://support.justinjacob.com:>Hardware Solution Center for more detailes

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Justin said...

OK YY, your suggestion is hogwash. One cannot install the service pack if one hasn't installed Exchange.

I visited your web site and gave my credentials hoping to find a fellow techie. While I cannot judge your technical abilities and expertise, I can judge your web site.

Your web site does not seem to contain information relevant to the discussion. It is poorly organized. I'm not sure what liks on some pages should do. It is unprofessional looking - unless the professional you desire to work with is a Japanese Schoolgirl.

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Khalil said...

This solved my problem as well. Thank you so much

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger megaboy said...

thanxs alot it solved the problem

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

T H A N K YOU!

You saved me today!

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Anser said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home