Tuesday, June 12, 2007

E2K7 - Unable to validate the filter: The Exchange server address list service failed to respond

Ya know, I really like Exchange Server as a product. But sometimes it really pisses me off.... Especially when I can't find a solution to a problem I am having. For the past 6 days, I have been trying to get a new CCR clustered mailbox server installed. I keep seeing the same error when I try to run SETUP /NEWCMS.

Clustered Mailbox Server ......................... FAILED
An Exchange 2007 server on which an address list service is active cannot be found.

Nothing in the setup logs and nothing in the event log. Grrrrr

So, I gave up and figured I might need to upgrade my recipient policies. I tried this:

Set-EmailAddressPolicy "Default Policy" -IncludedRecipients AllRecipients -ForceUpgrade

And I got this error....
Unable to validate the filter: 'The Exchange server address list service failed to respond. This could be because of an address list or email address policy configuration error.'At line:1 char:1+ S <<<<>

Then I noticed this error in the Event Log
Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSExchangeAL
Event Category: Address List Synchronization
Event ID: 8325
Date: 6/12/2007
Time: 9:44:53 AM
User: N/AComputer: SERVERNAME
Description:The service can't work properly because Email Address Policy 'CN=ORGNAME User Mailbox Management Policy,CN=Recipient Policies,CN=ORGNAME,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=ORGNAME,DC=LOCAL' has an invalid filter rule (PurportedSearch). The error is 'Invalid token.'. Use the Exchange Management Console to correct this problem. New users, contacts, and groups won't be fully provisioned until this is fixed.

I finally found it. It was the named policy "'CN=ORGNAME User Mailbox Management Policy", but it had a filter that included an invalid E2K3 server.

Not only did fixing that broken policy allow me to update the address lists, but it allowed me to install the CCR cluster.


6 Comments:

At 5:34 AM, Blogger sini said...

Hi,
How did you fix the problem?

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Hieu said...

G'day,
I'm having pretty much similar problem, however my event log is as follow:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSExchangeAL
Event Category: Address List Synchronization
Event ID: 8325
Date: 11/7/2007
Time: 5:31:07 PM
User: N/A
Computer:
Description:
The service can't work properly because Email Address Policy 'CN=Prism,CN=Recipient Policies,CN=VDM Group,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=vdmg,DC=com,DC=au' has an invalid filter rule (PurportedSearch). The error is 'ANR is not supported.'. Use the Exchange Management Console to correct this problem. New users, contacts, and groups won't be fully provisioned until this is fixed.

I've tried to create a new policy and its wouldn't allow me either. so how were you able to fix it?

Cheers!!
Hieu Truong

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Casey said...

Have to say dude...very annoying. You say, "I finally fixed it," yet you don't tell us how. Here's now at least three frustrated people continuing to another site to try and find the answer that you found...but didn't share.

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger William said...

http://blog.shijaz.com/2008/01/when-setup-fails-exchange-server-2007.html

You need to clear out the PurportedSearch string. ITs all in that link

 
At 5:01 AM, Blogger Palani said...

I did that but I cant fix the problem.
Email Spam Filtering

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Kable89Z said...

After getting stuck on this for over a day, my problem stemmed from having descriptive information wrapped in parenthesis in the Exchange database names. For example, SG1DB1 (120MB) and SG1DB (Unlimited). I had to rename the DBs in ESM on the 2003 server. Then I had to update the recipient policies to reflect the new database names. Ran a sync on the domain just to make sure and was able to add my Public Folder.

Hope this helps someone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home