Saturday, January 24, 2009

Remote Desktop to Windows Server console connection not working

For the past several months, I have had an annoyance happening with Windows XP SP3 and Windows Vista SP1. When I use the Remote Desktop client - mstsc.exe - I cannot connect to the console session of my servers. I always use the command prompt mstsc /console but it no longer seems to work when connecting to the console session.

I finally did some research today and found that it was changed to where you have to use the /admin switch instead. So, now I have to start my sessions like this:

mstsc /admin

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Blogger lozzd said...

Wow, I never knew you could connect directly to the Console session. That's very useful, thanks.

 
At 3:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

My comment isn't specific to the RDP switch you speak about in this post, it is in regards to your book "Microsoft Exchange Server 2007: Implementation and Administration". I have purchased and read through most of the book and even followed along with the intra-organization migration. The one gripe I've got is your omission of any sort of "gotcha" about Recipient Policies when installing (your first) Exchange 2007 server into your existing 2000/2003 infrastructure.

My following along with your book came to a screeching halt when I could not successfully install the Mailbox role onto my migration server. After much research and poking around, I find that it was some Recipient Policies that the new server couldn't digest. Almost all of the Exchange administrators I've spoken with use these policies liberally and you should consider paying it some mention in future revisions of your book, if not post an addendum somewhere easily found. While I can understand Microsoft's move away from LDAP filters in those policies to the new OPATH syntax, it seems there was little thought given to a migration away from them short of a rewrite.

I've got 50 rewrites to consider now...*ugh*

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Victor Osten said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are in the exact same boat here, as I hav had to buy some remote desktop software to make these connections. The MS troubleshooter is so worthless that if your connections don't work, you pretty much have to give up and call it quits.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home