Saturday, December 17, 2011

Exchange 2010 SP2 upgrade issue with Discovery Mailbox

I just upgraded my lab servers to Exchange 2010 SP2.  I was somewhat pleased that all I needed to do prior to the upgrade was just run a Microsoft Update and make sure that the recommended and critical updates were applied.  Sometimes, with new Exchange releases, you have to chased down obscure and not-yet-released fixes for things.

I did have one issue as the mailbox role was being upgraded.  Setup crashed repeatedly and included the dump from a script that had failed.

Couldn’t resolve the user or group “ Exchange Security Groups/Discovery Management.”
It is also listed in the eventlog at Event id: 1002: Exchange Server component Mailbox Role failed:
Event ID 1002
Providor Name:MSExchangeSeup

“Couldn’t resolve the user or group /Microsoft Exchange Security Groups/ Discovery Management” If the user or group is a foreign forest principal, you must have either a two-way trust or an outgoing trust.
The trust relationship between the primary domain and the trusted domain failed”

 I chased my tail on this quite a bit assuming it was an Active Directory problem when in fact it was a problem with the Discovery mailbox.  The only solution is to delete the discovery mailbox and recreate it.  My test domain ( is in the steps below.  Substitute your own domain.

1)   Disable-Mailbox “DiscoverySearchMailbox {D919BA05-46A6-415f-80AD-7E09334BB852}” 
2) Enable-Mailbox “DiscoverySearchMailbox {D919BA05-46A6-415f-80AD-7E09334BB852}” -Arbitration
3) Add-MailboxPermission -Identity:" {D919BA05-46A6-415f-80AD-7E09334BB852}” -User:”Discovery Management” -AccessRights:”FullAccess” 

 Note that the user account that is used for the Discovery Search mailbox must be disabled.



At 11:37 PM, Blogger Hoegi said...

Thank you, that solved my problem.

At 11:38 PM, Blogger Hoegi said...

Thank you, that solved my problem

At 11:39 PM, Blogger Hoegi said...

Thank you, that solved my problem

At 3:46 AM, Blogger SpiderMind said...

Saved the day for me! thanks a lot for sharing this info with the rest. Regards!

At 5:58 AM, Blogger Carletons said...

Dude, nice. Thanks for the post, all I could find were technet threads that recommended deleting for the update then re-creating it. That's not how I roll, so I kept looking. You should hit those threads up and point people to the right answer. I'm sure there would be more than one appreciative person out there.

At 11:41 AM, Blogger Talin Darlig said...

Oh god you saved my night :)

At 4:33 AM, Blogger touchpaduser said...


At 10:44 AM, Blogger Mark Richardson said...

I came across the same problem installing SP3 - moving the mailbox to another DB also solves the problem (if you have that option)

At 2:15 AM, Blogger Fayez Eltaha said...

after reaching a hair pulling stage trying to figure out what is wrong. i stumble at this post. amazing work man. thanks a million.


Post a Comment

<< Home