Friday, March 09, 2007

No Windows 2000 domain controllers in same site with Exchange 2007 servers

An interesting issue popped up in one of the Exchange mailing lists. If an Active Directory site contains any Windows 2000 domain controllers, Exchange Server 2007 setup will fail. Here is the error:

Error:
Setup encountered a problem while validating the state of Active
Directory: Domain Controller 'server.domainname.com'
Operating System version is 5.0 (2195) Service Pack 4. The minimum version required is 5.2 (3790) Service Pack 1.
Elapsed Time: 00:00:05

Client Access Role Prerequisites Failed
Error:
Setup encountered a problem while validating the state of Active Directory: Domain Controller
'server.domainname.com'
Operating System version is 5.0 (2195) Service Pack 4. The minimum version required is 5.2 (3790)Service Pack 1.
Elapsed Time: 00:00:03


Mailbox Role Prerequisites Failed
Error:
Setup encountered a problem while validating the state of Active
Directory: Domain Controller 'server.domainname.com'
Operating System version is 5.0 (2195) Service Pack 4. The minimum version required is 5.2 (3790) Service Pack 1.

8 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, Blogger Nick Smith said...

I had the same error while installing Exchange 2007. Our problem was that we had a domain that only had a single Windows 2000 domain controller. Adding a Windows 2003 SP1 domain controller allowed us to proceed with our install. The moral of the story, if you have at least 1 domain controller in each child domain with Windows 2003 SP1 you can install Exchange 2007. You will receive a warning message about Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 (no service pack) domain controllers during the install and in the event log afterwards.

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have been dealing with a similiar problem. I have 2 domain controllers. 1 is Windows 2000 SP4 and one is Windows 2003 SP1. It is killing me. I have transferred all the FSMO roles to the 2k3 server except Infrastructure since the 2k3 is global catalog server. If anyone has any help, I would greatly appreciate it.

 
At 12:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You can specify the Domain controller through command line here is an example to install all roles and a public folder store.


setup /mode:install /domaincontroller:servername
/roles:ht,ca,mb,mt /enablelegacyoutlook

 
At 6:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found this thread particularly useful in diagnosing my Exchange 2007 installation. Thanks very much.

Jason.

http://theitmanagersjournal.blogspot.com

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Alejandro Mateo said...

I have the same problem trying to install Exch07SP1 32bits on a DC. First I have to uninstall preview installation of Exch03, delete all entries on AD, so I also delete Exchange Admins group. I create a new account to avoid profiles issues, I re create exchange admins group and made this new account member of it also of Schema admins, enterprise admins, domain admins and administrators, then Setup /PrepareSchema finally works !

Alejandro Mateo
MCSE+M,CCNA,Net+,DCSE

 
At 3:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

This was very helpful, thank you. I was able to run my system preps from the command prompt:

d:\>setup /PrepareSchema /domaincontroller:ServerName

I did this for the /PrepareAD & then /PrepareDomain as well.

I have a windows 2000 server dc and a windows 2003 server dc. I moved all the fsmo roles to 2k3. Even after doing this, I was receiving errors when trying to run the /prepare commands. The error message was poingting to my 2000 domain controller. using the /domaincontroller:servername switch allowed me to complete the /Prepare commands successfully.

Now, I'm ready to run the actual setup. Thanks! Cisco

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

using the setup from the command line also worked for me. for those interested, there are a number of options to consider when using the unattended install from the command line. Check out http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997281(EXCHG.80).aspx for more info.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home