Saturday, December 17, 2011

Exchange 2010 SP2 upgrade issue with Discovery Mailbox

I just upgraded my lab servers to Exchange 2010 SP2.  I was somewhat pleased that all I needed to do prior to the upgrade was just run a Microsoft Update and make sure that the recommended and critical updates were applied.  Sometimes, with new Exchange releases, you have to chased down obscure and not-yet-released fixes for things.

I did have one issue as the mailbox role was being upgraded.  Setup crashed repeatedly and included the dump from a script that had failed.

Couldn’t resolve the user or group “volcanosurfboards.com/Microsoft Exchange Security Groups/Discovery Management.”
It is also listed in the eventlog at Event id: 1002: Exchange Server component Mailbox Role failed:
Event ID 1002
Providor Name:MSExchangeSeup

“Couldn’t resolve the user or group /Microsoft Exchange Security Groups/ Discovery Management” If the user or group is a foreign forest principal, you must have either a two-way trust or an outgoing trust.
The trust relationship between the primary domain and the trusted domain failed”

 I chased my tail on this quite a bit assuming it was an Active Directory problem when in fact it was a problem with the Discovery mailbox.  The only solution is to delete the discovery mailbox and recreate it.  My test domain (volcanosurfboards.com) is in the steps below.  Substitute your own domain.

1)   Disable-Mailbox “DiscoverySearchMailbox {D919BA05-46A6-415f-80AD-7E09334BB852}” 
2) Enable-Mailbox “DiscoverySearchMailbox {D919BA05-46A6-415f-80AD-7E09334BB852}” -Arbitration
3) Add-MailboxPermission -Identity:"volcanosurfboards.com/Users/DiscoverySearchMailbox {D919BA05-46A6-415f-80AD-7E09334BB852}” -User:”Discovery Management” -AccessRights:”FullAccess” 


 Note that the user account that is used for the Discovery Search mailbox must be disabled.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 11:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you, that solved my problem.

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you, that solved my problem

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you, that solved my problem

 
At 3:46 AM, Blogger Lopezej said...

Saved the day for me! thanks a lot for sharing this info with the rest. Regards!

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger Carletons said...

Dude, nice. Thanks for the post, all I could find were technet threads that recommended deleting for the update then re-creating it. That's not how I roll, so I kept looking. You should hit those threads up and point people to the right answer. I'm sure there would be more than one appreciative person out there.

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh god you saved my night :)

 
At 4:33 AM, Blogger touchpaduser said...

Genius!

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I came across the same problem installing SP3 - moving the mailbox to another DB also solves the problem (if you have that option)

 
At 2:15 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

after reaching a hair pulling stage trying to figure out what is wrong. i stumble at this post. amazing work man. thanks a million.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home