WinDeveloper's IMF Tune v3.0 released
I am a big fan of the Exchange 2003 SP2 Intelligent Message Filter. It is *free* and *easy* to configure. For small and medium sized businesses that don't want to invest in separate SMTP message hygiene systems or perimeter SMTP gateways, it is a good solution. I find that the IMF reduces about 95% of the spam I receive in my Inbox. 95% is a good percentage for a free spam filter. I usually configure it to block anything with an SCL of 7 or higher and put anything with an SCL of 5 or higher in my Junk E-mail folder.
However, the IMF is just not very tune-able. That is why I like WinDeveloper's IMF Tune software. They just released a new IMF Tune version (v3.0) that has a lot of nice improvements such as log management, improved e-mail archiving, keyword reporting, and additional SCL rules. IMF Tune includes whitelisting and blacklisting features that ust are not availble via the IMF by itself. And at $148.00 for a single server, IMF Tune is dirt cheap and gives you features that you find in software costing thousands of dollars. Here are some features from the IMF Tune web site.
- Whitelisting - Scan IPs, senders, recipients, subjects, email headers and bodies to ensure legitimate emails are not classified as spam.
- Blacklisting - Scan IPs, senders, recipients, subjects, email headers and bodies to eliminate spam that still manages to reach the inbox.
- Keyword-to-SCL Mappings - Search for keywords within email headers to further control SCL ratings. On finding a match the current SCL can be incremented, decremented, or fixed to any SCL value.
- Plug any Anti-Spam Filter into Exchange - Integrate anti-spam filters running on any platform, dedicated firewall appliance or external service provider.
- SCL to Subject/Header Insertion - Expose SCL ratings to the end-recipients. Junk email may than be sorted by SCL enabling more effective verification.
- Spam Rerouting to a Central Mailbox or Public Folder - Retain all emails within a single repository. Eliminates external archiving and enables access to filtered spam through Outlook.
- Auto-Reply to Filtered Emails - Streamline the process of identifying false positives for emails most at risk of incorrect classification.
- Attachment Stripping - Minimize resource wastage within archives and Junk Email folders.
- Detailed Logging - Retain an index of processed emails and extract IPs, addresses and keywords for whitelisting/blacklisting.
- Intuitive SCL Based User Interface - Visualize the configuration at a single glance. This is achieved through the use of different icons and SCL handling color coding.
- SCL Threshold Fine Tuning - Categorize logs and archives by SCL to quickly analyze the impact of the current thresholds and adjust them as appropriate.