Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Dell to start using AMD chips

I attended a presentation recently that was given by an AMD techie. He talked about transistors, power consumption, and heat output until I was about to pass out, but he summed it up really nicely in saying that servers with AMD Opteron chips use less power and put out less heat. That really hit home for me since one of my current customer's is currently maxed out (with respect to power and A/C) in their data center.

Of course, this customer has a about 4 dozen racks full of Dell servers and Dell does not use the AMD chip set. Finally, though, Dell has changed their mind and will start building servers with the AMD Opteron chip set. I'm looking forward to playing with some AMD 64-bit servers. See the article Dell Moves Toward AMD Chips Amid Earnings Drop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home